The Federal Cultural Foundation has adopted an environmental policy which requires it to continually improve its environmental behaviour. On 30 May 2012, the Federal Cultural Foundation was awarded EMAS certification for ecological management. Certification distinguishes organisations which voluntarily fulfil the rigorous requirements of the EC Eco-Audit Regulation. EMAS (short for Eco-Management and Audit Scheme) is an instrument for operational environmental management. Developed by the European Union, it obligates participating organisations to undergo regular environmental audits.
Following a general survey of the employees at the Federal Cultural Foundation, the Executive Board and staff jointly agreed to the following environmental guidelines.
- The Federal Cultural Foundation treats natural living conditions responsibly. It strives to continually reduce any detriment it causes to the environment.
- The Federal Cultural Foundation seeks active exchange with the public and interested groups with regard to its environmental activities.
- The Foundation motivates its cooperation partners and contractors to modify their activities according to the principles of sustainability.
- The environmental guidelines of the Federal Cultural Foundation can only be achieved with the support of every employee. The management bears particular responsibility for ensuring compliance with the environmental guidelines.
- The Federal Cultural Foundation pledges to comply with all relevant environmental laws and regulations.
For more information about the Foundation’s environmental guidelines and environmental management activities, please read the Environmental Statement (in German only) of the Federal Cultural Foundation.
The Foundation’s new headquarters opened in October 2012 with an official ceremony attended by German Chancellor Dr. Angela Merkel. The headquarters were built according to the latest ecological construction methods with a particular emphasis on energy-efficient technologies. These include ventilation chambers with built-in heat recovery, triple-glazed windows, photovoltaic roof panels and highly efficient insulation.
Programmes initiated by the Federal Cultural Foundation
The Federal Cultural Foundation also strives to motivate its partners and other interested institutions to address environmental issues more actively. With its focus on Sustainability and Future, the Federal Cultural Foundation initiated a series of projects (“Über Lebenskunst”, 2010-2012) and continues to support projects which explore issues of sustainability.