The mechanical weaving plant Pausa was founded by the Löwenstein brothers in 1919. And with it came the Bauhaus idea to Mössingen. Here in this provincial Swabian town, the interplay of artistic excellence and master craftmanship produced extraordinary results over many decades. Artists like Willi Baumeister, Andreas Felger, HAP Grieshaber, Anton Stankowski and the Danish-born Verner Panton created world-class “artists’ fabrics” for the Mössingen-based company. Although the company grounds are little more than an industrial wasteland today, the site still holds traces of its illustrious history. As part of the festival, this project aims to make the all but decimated material and immaterial treasures of this Gesamtkunstwerk – one that uniquely depicts 100 years of German history – visible, audible and tangible once again. Performative arts, soundscapes and various exhibitions form the core of the project. The coordinators hope that it will have a positive impact on town planning in the quarter and serve as an initial step toward establishing a Pausa museum.
Artistic director: Stefan Hallmayer
Participating artists: Wolfgang Schnitzer, Franziska Blum